Effective Wednesday, former Olympic and World Champion Asbel Kiprop is free to compete in athletics after his four-year ban following a positive test of blood booster Erythropoietin (EPO) in 2019 ends.
Kiprop was handed with his four-year ban in 2019 after both his A and B samples returned positive results for the blood-booster EPO, with the ban backdated to 2018.
Throughout the whole ordeal from his preliminary suspension to the final ban, Kiprop maintained is innocence, stating that he never took any performance enhancing drugs and the EPO detected in his samples were naturally produced.
He also alleged that his samples were switched, pointing out to a possible conspiracy.
Nonetheless, the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) stood by their decision to hand Kiprop the lengthy ban, which ends on February 2, 2022.
And now, he is looking forward to what he calls a ‘transparent comeback and gradual progress’ as he looks to wrestle back his career that was tainted by the doping scandal and other private issues all through.
“To those who lived in doubt, It is regrettable the situation that not only defiled your trust, It equally roped my career leaving a scar on my integrity,” Kiprop said in a statement posted on his social media accounts on Wednesday.
He added; “I do not have much to do about it and I have nothing to apologise for, it wasn’t my fault nor negligence my conscience has always been clear and I have always advocated for a clean sport.”
Kiprop has also disclosed that the Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya (ADAK) have already conducted four out-of-competition tests on him and says he is ready to battle for his crown back as the king of the 1500m.
Kiprop further states; “I therefore call on my accusers’ attention in good faith to kindly contact a private investigation of My 27th Nov 2017 alleged sample’s chain of custody. I’m sure an answer that could protect an innocent athlete such trauma can be identified.”
It is still unclear whether Kiprop, who turns 33 in June, will continue racing on the track or he will consider a future on the road.
Also, the Kenyan Ministry of Sports last year claimed that athletes who have previously been implicated in doping bans will not be allowed to don the Kenyan singlet again.
Kiprop is however hopeful that he will be back competing as he looks to make up for the four years he has been away.
Three times World 1500m Champion Asbel Kiprop has ended his four years banning sentence that he got from Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) in 2018.
Below are his fact files:
- Asbel Kiprop Kebenei was born on 30 June 1989 and he a middle-distance runner, who specializes in the 1500 metres.
- He was the first Kenyan to be be a World 1500m Champion.
- He is the First Kenyan to complete a 1500m hat trick.
- He is the youngest ever winner of the 2008 Summer Olympics 1500m gold, a record previously held by Arnold Jackson since 1912.
- Kiprop has won three World Championship titles in the event, in 2011, 2013 and 2015.
- Kiprop won his first major title at the 2007 All-Africa Games, taking the 1500 m gold medal.
- He won the 2010 African Championships in Athletics, improving upon a bronze medal performance from 2008. His personal best for the distance is 3:26.69.
- Kiprop breakthrough came at the 2007 IAAF World Cross Country Championships and then the 1500 m gold at the All-Africa Games.
- He won the Most Promising Sportsman of the Year category at the 2007 Kenyan Sports Personality of the Year awards (SOYA).
- Kiprop won his first Diamond League Meeting at the 2016 in Doha.
- He won bronze at the 2008 African 800m Championships
- He won silver medal at the 2008 IAAF World Athletics Final, finishing behind the African champion Haron Keitany.
- Kiprop is the 2010 African Championships gold medallist in Athletics, running a championship record time of 3:36.19 to win in Nairobi.
- Asbel Kiprop won his first 1500 m Diamond League title at the 2010 Memorial van Damme.
- Kiprop won silver at the 2011 Great Edinburgh Cross Country in January, in the short race behind Eliud Kipchoge.
- Asbel Kiprop won the 2011 world 1500m gold medal, defeating his Kenyan rival, Silas Kiplagat at the 2011 World Championships in Athletics.
- Asbel Kirpop had his best cross country race since he was a junior runner at the Edinburgh race in 2012, defeating a field which contained Kipchoge and Kenenisa Bekele.
- Asbel Kiprop in July 2013, won the Herculis (Monaco Diamond League) 1500 in a time of 3:27.72, making him the fourth fastest man ever at the distance yet still not achieving the meet record.
- Asbel Kiprop set in 2015, a meeting record for 1500 metres at the Monaco Diamond League event in a time of 3:26.69. This put him third on the all-time list over the distance.
- Kiprop is from Kaptinga village, near Eldoret. He is a son of David and Julia Kebenei. His father David Kebenei was also an athlete, who participated in the 1987 All-Africa Games in Kenya and finished fourth in the 1500 metres race.
- Kiprop started running at the age of 13, while at Simat School. Later he dropped out of high-school to concentrate on training.
- His younger brother Victor Kipchirchir Kebenei is also a 1500 metres runner.
Source: www.athletics.co.ke